If you witness human trafficking, immediately call the National Human Trafficking Hotline: 1 888 373 7888.
Look for clues that will help identify a victim.
- Signs of physical abuse (scars and bruises)
- Malnutrition/ bad health (signs of not getting proper intake of food, water, sleep and/or medical care)
- Depression/ submissive behavior (frightened to talk to outsiders or any person of authority since they are monitored by their trafficker)
- Foreign (unfamiliar with the most common language, have an evident lack of communication skills)
- Controlled movement (spoken on behalf of by someone else, transported to and from or live at work)
- Signs of dependence (demonstrating affection and attachment towards their abuser)
- Deceived by a false job offer (different job than the advertised job they had taken interest in)
- Lack of personal belongings (not in possession of their own identification, passport, legal documents, etc)
- Substance abuse (signs of drug use or addiction – can also be coerced into drug use by traffickers or turn to it to help cope with enslavement)